1. What is Dauset Trails? Dauset
Trails is a private, non-profit nature center based on environmental education that is open for all to enjoy. In addition, we provide environmental programs
(by reservation only) for groups.
Programs include Mammals/Birds of Prey, Reptiles and many more.
2. How much does it cost to see Dauset Trails? There is no fee for admission or parking. We do
accept donations at the Visitor's Center.
3. What does Dauset Trails have
to offer? There are 1400 acres of scenic woods, fields, creeks and lakes.
You can see native, live animals on exhibit (non-releasable) and in the wild, hike
and bike 20 miles of trails, horseback ride 10 miles of trail separate from the hiking and biking trails, enjoy wildflower landscapes in the Woodland Garden and Children's Garden, picnic...
4. Can we bring our dog to walk around?
Yes and No. You may bring your dog on a leash only on our hike and bike trail system. Pets are not allowed inside the fenced-in Animal Trail wildlife exhibits/farm animal/Pavilion 1/Woodland Garden Trail/Tree ID Trail/nature center area.
5. What kinds of animals are
at Dauset Trails?Live animals including native mammals, birds of prey and reptiles
of Georgia. See big pond-type fish and waterfowl. Also see common farm animals at our barnyard exhibit.
6. How did you get these animals?
All of our animals are non-releasable and have
either been injured or orphaned and were donated by the GA
DNR, Obediah's Okefenok, and the Audubon
7. Are you open today?
Yes. Open Daily from 9-5 p.m. No entry after 4 pm.
We are closed the following days: Thanksgiving Day,Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.
8. Who runs Dauset Trails?
A private foundation, The Daughtry
Foundation, supplies the resources to maintain the center and 10
9. What does the word "Dauset"
mean? Dauset was created from the last names of two people who started the Nature Center in 1977: Hampton Daughtry
+ David Settle = Dauset.
10. How do I get to Dauset Trails?
Dauset Trails is just minutes from I-75 South at Exit 205 or 198. Go to our map and print one for the road.
11. Do you have a gift shop?
We don't have a shop, but we do have gifts in the office such as caps, shirts, buttons, magnets, camping supplies and more.
12. Do you offer camping?
We do have camping areas, but only for organized groups such as Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, 4-H, church groups etc., by reservation only. Call (770)775-6798 to make a reservation.
13. Do you have cabins for camping?
No. However, we do have camping platforms we call "Turkey Roosts." For these you only need a sleeping bag. You can bring your tent and other gear to use our tent pads, fire rings, and lantern poles.
14. How long does it take to see everything?
Allow yourself about 2 hours to see all of our main exhibits including the Animal Trail, Wonder Room, Farm Animals, Woodland Garden Trail, and the Children's Garden. Bring a picnic lunch and stay a while. Allow additional time for exploring our hiking trails!
15. How do I reserve a pavilion or the big room inside the Visitor's Center (Atrium)?
Reservations can only be made by phone. Call our office at (770)775-6798 and we will check our reservation calendar to see if there is an opening for you. The calendar fills quickly, so have a couple of alternate days in mind.
16. Can we get married at Dauset Trails?
Yes. We offer a wedding package that includes use of the Chapel and the Atrium Room or Pavilion 2 for a reception. You provide a pastor, caterer, decorations, etc. See "Chapel" for more details.
17. Can we go swimming? Or fishing?
No. Swimming and fishing are only for camping groups and only at the camping areas.
18. Do you allow bike riding on the trails?
Yes, we do have many trails open for mountain-bike riding. There are a few trails inside the fenced in area designated for hiking only. See our "Trails" page for a printable map and more info.
19. Do you have horse-back riding? Yes. There are 10 miles of horse riding trails. BYOH. Access these trails from Lake Clark Rd., not the main visitor's area. We sometimes have a horse at our farm animal exhibit, but not for riding.
20. Do you sell food inside of the park or should we plan on a picnic lunch? We do not sell food for people. We have drink machines on the deck of the Visitors Center. Please bring a meal and enjoy a picnic on our tables.
21. Can we bring our own food to feed the animals, fish, ducks etc.? No. Food brought in to Dauset Trails is not allowed to be fed to our animals. We have food machines provided at several locations to feed fish and other animals.
22. Can we have a birthday party here? Yes, parties can be held at Dauset Trails. However, we do not offer birthday programs. You can use the picnic tables or reserve a pavilion.
23. Do you have an 800 number? No. We do have a cool number though and it is (770) 775-6798.